Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dental Rumble

I was being bothered by my teeth for quite a few months. Those who know me know exactly what kind of a haphazard dental structure I own! Slowly and steadily I have made one of the unique dental structures in the world which has even prompted some of my friends to compare it with that of Count Dracula! So, it was the turn of my teeth to take revenge for the great state I have thrown them in!
About two months ago I started experiencing pain on my 5th and 6th teeth on the upper right side whenever I ate something sweet. I neglected it for a while but it became unbearable in the latter half of September when I started experiencing pain with every bite I ate. Now it was no time to procrastinate but to visit a dentist. That is what I did first up on the morning of 23rd as I went to Dr. Shailaja Deshpande’s dental clinic in Lakshminagar.
When in class 9th, I had read a poem on dentists. It was a hilarious poem on how the poet fears the dentist and his tools. The state of my mind was exactly like that! I was seated on a yellow throne and lo she started doing all kinds of drilling with my teeth. I was sure to lose all my teeth that day. It seemed that they will come all falling down with the kind of activity going inside my mouth. I felt like my mouth has turned into a mill! But at last she stopped and rebuked me for not taking proper care of my teeth. She was a nice lady and explained me that my unusual habit of eating only with one side of my mouth and that also with express speeds has caused the trouble. She told me that, I have particularly spoiled my 5th and 6th teeth and a root canal operation had to be done. She anaesthetized my gums and drilled holes in them. Now I was suppose to eat only with my left side. This I had never done in my life and was actually a difficult act. She had advised me to eat rice which wouldn’t require much eating!
My brother suggested me to go back home and that’s what I did. The weekend being a Dusshera weekend was to be a foodie weekend and I didn’t want to miss it! Seeing good food made me forget that I had problem eating with my left teeth. I had a nice pet-puja and then came back to Nagpur on 2nd for my root canal. Dr. Ghonmode is a competent doctor but I was petrified. The petrifaction was because of all the dental stories I heard from my friends. Anyways I’m afraid of operations but the good doctor calmed me down and told me to relax. Within 20 minutes, I was done with root canal! I even don’t know what he did with my teeth. He kept poking with a pin into my teeth and then filled in some artificial paste into it. I was told that I have to keep eating with my left side and come back on Monday to give my dental cast.
Monday morning, Dr. Shruti Nakade drilled and drilled for eternity (It is what it seemed to me!) before declaring that now my dental cast could be taken. A pink coloured, Colgate tasting paste was used to take the dental cast (I own it now!). I was called back on Friday the 9th for fitting the dental caps. Childishly, I was excited to own two steel teeth like Jaws (Moonraker)! But I was disappointed to find that the caps made were not perfect and I had to wait till Monday. I got impatient on Monday as I had not received the promised call from the doctor. At last I called and was told that the teeth will turn up sometime later. I was called at about 1430 hours and I immediately dashed to the clinic. This time there was no trouble with the caps and now I’m the proud owner of them!
But I’ve to take utmost precautions not to lose any more teeth or I’ll end up being Jaws totally!

No comments: