Saturday, March 14, 2009

Bi-Cycle Diaries

Cycling which forms an integral part of my everyday life and doesn’t require any extra effort on my part now was not so easy few years ago. Until class 7th (or 6th) I didn’t know how to cycle. In that year I read a story called ‘Cycle Ki Sawari’ in my Hindi text book. Upon reading it I decided to learn cycling.
But it was not as easy as it seemed. I started practicing with my father’s 24” Hero Jet. Initially I couldn’t cycle after getting upon it. The cycle was quite heavy and in the beginning it seemed it was pedaling me away and not the vice-versa. As a ritual I used to practice cycling every evening after school and then read the story and brood over my inability to pedal. Along with this were the numerous suggestions offered by the neighbours which confused more and helped little. It seemed it would take me ages to learn the art of cycling.
But at last my labour bore fruit and I eventually learnt to cycle within three-four months. One great thing about my cycling was that I never had an accident during my learning days. Hence I got the allowance of my father to cycle outside the colony. The evening I took the cycle out of my colony, I met with my first accident. I ran into a herd of cows and then I was at their mercy. They had lots of fun and left me with a lot of bruises. I had a nice lecture session from my father on my inadequacy of handling a mere cycle. But I continued cycling and it gave me immense pleasure. To move faster did give me immense thrill. I had few more accidents in these years like hitting a jeep, crashing with a motor bike and few others like them. I still cycle in the same careless wobbling manner and still hit and get hit but luckily haven’t been injured seriously.
My father bought me a new Hero Jet Plus and I started cycling around Chikhla every day. I started exploring the unknown, places where I hadn’t gone with anyone else. With the hills around, there were enough ups, downs turns and twists. I enjoyed cycling everywhere. Especially a steep slope in the mines area was my favourite which was constantly forbidden by my father. Once he found out and my cycling pleasures were temporarily suspended. In the two years of high secondary I couldn’t cycle much but resumed back in graduation. I cycled as much as I could in Nagpur and still do a lot of it in Pune.
Now in the passing let me tell about my motor-cycle experience. I want to learn driving a motorbike but haven’t been able to. In 2006, I tried but after I caused a small crash leading me, the bike and its owner (my friend Aniket) biting the dust(literally) of Deekshbhoomi grounds, the bike went for servicing and I haven’t sat on the driver’s seat ever since.
Well in the era of motorcycles (all my close friends have motorbikes) I did hate cycling during my graduation but couldn’t do without it as my parents were unrelenting in buying me a motorbike and I was left with only this form of transportation (My parents are now willing to buy one but I have lost the enthusiasm about owning one). Slowly my cycle has become a very important accessory in my life. Whenever I am bored, anxious, angry or have a mood swing, I like to pedal away alone and ride among the crowds. It’s a great stress reliever. The exertion, the sweat, the tiredness it brings have a soothing effect and brings peace to my mind.
With so many cycles around me in Pune, my interest in cycling has rejuvenated and nowadays I do take long excursions on my cycle. I have fell in love with cycling once again and don’t want a heartbreak but have a small wish that I learn to drive a motorbike sooner.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Awww.. Its such a sweet post filled with so much innocence and candor.. :)

I am loving it even more... keep posting! ;) n keep cycling ;)